Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Visualizing Poetry

During our poetry unit in 1st grade we discuss the importance of finding meaning in poetry through word choice and figurative language. We listen to songs and discuss the likenesses between songs and poems. One of the songs we listen to is "House that Built Me" by Miranda Lambert because most students can make connections to it and really find meaning withing the words. I created a podcast to read my students a poem that I wanted them to visualize. Students will use the poem as a mentor text to write their own poem using details that will help the reader visualize their writing.

Visualizing Poetry Podcast


http://www.voki.com/pickup.php?scid=5742640&height=267&width=200
 

4 comments:

  1. I loved your podcast and the idea behind it. I would like to use this lesson if it is ok with you. I have never used voki but I am going to explore it. It looks like the students would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of a Voki! They always capture students attention. I also love how you used a QR code. These are so valuable, especially with young students. One mistyped character and who knows where they might be directed online. This is a great way to help them easily jump to an online resource. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie- The students absolutely love it and you are more than welcome to use the lesson. Please let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you and yes Voki is a great way to engage the students. I have found that QR codes are so easy and I plan to use them more around the classroom with the iPads, so that students do not have to type in the address.

    ReplyDelete